Saturday, May 18, 2013

Winston Churchill's epitaph states, I am ready to meet my Maker

Winston Churchill’s epitaph states, “I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.”


The Gaelic epitaph for this Irish comedian translates to, “I told you I was ill.” Milligan, who died of liver failure in 2002 at age 83, was famous for his irreverent humor showcased on TV and in films such as “Monty Python’s Life of Brian.” His gravestone, which lies at St Thomas Church in Winchelsea, East Sussex, stood bare for some time while his family argued over which phrase best would encapsulate the comedian’s career. When they finally came to an agreement, the church insisted that the phrase be written in Gaelic. Though Milligan may have had the last laugh, non-Gaelic-speaking visitors won’t get the joke.


Read more



Share Button

Winston Churchill's epitaph states, I am ready to meet my Maker

No comments:

Post a Comment